Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bloody Hell


I hate to say it, but
the ear infection is back. Oh joy.

The Brat came down to the living room Wednesday night and said her ear was bleeding again -- like I really needed to be told that, because her hand was covered in blood. No pain, just bleeding profusely, so thank God, there was no drama. And I got sleep that night, though she woke up in the morning with blood everywhere, and I found myself once again pulling clots outta her ear.

Ewwwwww.

Called the doc, who never called back that day, but they saw her in the office on Friday. She was less than elated, needless to say, but with the help of a bit 'o Xanax, no one got hurt. I got that little prescription for her after the last appointment, when she threatened to punch the poor littl 5'6" doctor if he hurt her. Mind you, she told me this the day before, but I truly believe the guy would've been lucky to live, had her mother not gotten Vitamin X. After that, she had a cheery little discussion about Butler basketball -- turned out it was his alma mater -- and everything went great.

This time around, she maintained, despite the guy suctioning out her ear for about 20 minutes, during which time he pulled out a clot the size of a raisin. After he was done, he told the little resident doing rounds with him to look in her ear, because apparently there was blood bubbling out of her tube like the La Brea tarpits. He doesn't know why, but it treating it like an infection, and we get to do eardrops for another two weeks.

Oh joy.

She seems to be cooperating this time, because she doesn't want it to get that godawful pain again, so she's not fighting anyone, and tonight even did the drops herself. My little baby girl is growing up.............but she still says she likes her primary care doc best. Odd, since she usually refuses to even speak to the poor guy when she's there, but hey, I figure not threatening bodily harm is always progress, right?

when I went looking for something blood red to match the garbage in The Brat's ear, I couldn't resist this red brocade taffeta dress, from bamabelle, on etsy. Dig the pic, and you'll know why it's the perfect dress for this post. All it's missing is the Xanax.

5 comments:

Giftbearer said...

LOL! That was a good one! Gross, but funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your daughter is having such awful ear infections, they sound horrible! And I'm sorry you have to go through all the gore involved as well. Hope she feels better soon and perhaps it'll turn out to be a humbling experience. A little humility never hurts! ;-)
~Sharon

Anonymous said...

My name is Wendy Angus and i would like to show you my personal experience with Xanax.

I am 45 years old. Have been on Xanax for 2 years now. In working with a wonderful doctor and therapist, I have learned Meniere's Disease is an anxiety=provoked condition, and is the worst thing I have ever suffered in my life. To manage this, I take a low dose of Wellbutrin everyday and have a 1mg Rx for Xanax, which I am supposed to take 3x-a-day, but to be honest, I usually only take about 3-1mg a week, so only taking it when I honestly feel "too anxious". I also take Meclizine for the Meniere's attacks and those are only as needed as well. I feel the Xanax is better to have around than not, for my personal conditions. It took me a long time to balance out my meds, and taking too much xanax feels as horrible as the withdrawl can be, as I've experienced both. Now, after much time in getting to know what my body needs and how I am feeling (like with anxiety), and removing the 'stigma' of having to take a drug to manage my conditions is now over, taking just a few pills a week seems to work beautifully.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
It makes me very thirsty (dry mouth) but seems to work well in combination with other drugs for my conditions with no ill effects.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Wendy Angus

Ramesh said...

Efficacy never in doubt with this fast acting benzodiazapine. Alprazolam works on the neuro-transmitter GABA to induce calming effects. It is useful to many patients who try it and is preferred over similar medications because of its relative safety. Regardless of how it is used, it is very potent and may be habit forming. A typical dose for a recreational user or someone addicted to this drug may be many times what would be considered safe. If taking Xanax more than 4 mg per day then slowly taper.

James said...

I'm sorry your daughter is having such awful ear ambien infections, they sound horrible! And I'm sorry you have to go through all the gore involved as well