Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oui Oui, Paris, and some chicken

So, now that the boy has seemed to redeem himself, let's back up a few days, and revisit Mother's Day.

Now, I have never been one to make a big deal over the little holidays, especially the Hallmark ones. Being a nurse, holidays are generally just another day, and usually another WORK day, so it's not a big deal to me. Guess I try to rationalize it that way, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but hey, it takes all the pressure off. When you can say "sorry, have to work," then you don't have to worry about whose house you're going to, who's hosting, how to decorate, or any of that. You just work, and maybe do something when you get off.

And Mother's Day is one of those days where I really don't think it's a big deal. I figure, if you feel reasonably appreciated most of the year, what difference does one day make? Why go out to eat when the restaurants are so crowded? We already eat out a lot anyway. Who cares? Heck, I don't even care if I get a card, really, though the year that the hub made the error of stopping at CVS and buying me a coloring book and a candy bar, it got kind of ugly. If you are going to bother getting a gift, put a LITTLE thought in it. Otherwise, I really don't care. Anything I need or want, I can buy for myself.

So, the kids decided to make me dinner for Mother's Day. Hubby took me to the antique mall for the afternoon, and when we came through the door, the dd yelled "go in your room and put on the clothes on the bed." Ok. Good thing it was cute. Put it on, came out, and there was candlelight, French music, and a sign welcoming us to Le Papillon (The Butterfly). We had a wonderful six course meal, cooked by the kids, including the ds18, who proclaimed, in his best French accent, over and over, how awesome his chicken had turned out. And he was right.

Painted on moustaches, accents, music, and a fine looking guy at the other end of the table. Doesn't get much better than that. And when we were done, we all watched Rush Hour 3 -- not the greatest flick, but hey, it takes place in Paris. Pretty cool, huh? I guess those kids might turn out ok after all. They have a little bit of humor, a little bit 'o romance, and man, can they cook!

And so, in honor of the teenagers who could, here's a great Leonard of Paris dress, from Foxy Couture Boutique, on ebay. The print is nearly as much fun as Mother's Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why am I not properly credited for that fine meal. Thomas gets all the attention!