Monday, January 08, 2007

All that glitters is not gold

I'm not a huge movie person. I go in fits and spurts. Find a movie I love, and I'll watch it over and over. Buy the soundtrack. Study it on IMDB. But most of the time, I can take 'em or leave 'em.

I don't usually go to the movies with the dh. He complained once that he'd see my movies, but I wouldn't see his. Darn straight and tootin', big boy. I don't like movies with weapons, and very rarely watch them. Hubby, on the other hand, requires a certain explosion:car chase ratio, or it's not worth his time. I see mostly chick flicks with the dd. Those are much more my speed, though most of them, I can take or leave.

That's what irks the hubby about me. I don't see a lot of movies, yet I am excellent at picking Oscar winners. It all started several years back, when I was standing in line at the video store. Don't ask me why I was there, cause again -- I don't watch movies. I think I stopped by to get the kids something. In either event, the line was long, and I noticed a little pad of paper, sitting next to a box on the counter. The pad of paper was ballots for their "Pick the Oscars" contest. Figuring what the heck, I grabbed a pen, took about 8 1/2 seconds to fill it out, and threw it in the box.

I won. Ten free rentals. Hubby was appalled. He goes to see as many of the Oscar nominated movies as he can, and makes his own opinions about winners. I hadn't seen a single one of the movies, yet was almost 100% spot on, and won the contest.

Hubby, being the competitive person he is (he can't lose Candyland to a 3yo without fearing for his Y chromosome), decided that it was a fluke that I won. The next year, he came home, tossed the ballot on my lap and said "Here. Fill it out. We'll just see who can pick 'em." Took maybe ten seconds, gave it back to him, and he turned it in.

I won again. This happened three years in a row, then the video store stopped having the contest. Now, the dh and I pick them in the privacy of our own home. He hasn't beat me yet. Don't ask me why, because again, he tries to see the movies. I read the buzz, watch the interviews, and draw my own opinions.

No comments: