Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In olden days of yore..........

I used to look this sweet. Heck, I used to be this sweet. I was the sweet little preacher's kid that no one could figure out -- not out running the streets, not strung out, not thumpin' my Bible, either. Just a normal kid whose daddy happened to be in the pulpit.

I'm a little more jaded these days, but that's not a bad thing. Twenty four years as a nurse means I've been around the block a time or two -- I've held new babies in my arms, and held dying ones too. I've put my hands in brain matter, and kept intestines from spilling out, all before breakfast. I've gotten spit on, barfed on, peed on, and everything else. I've been called b*tch and angel in the same shift. And I've gotten hugs from patients, pinches from patients, and been chased around a bed by a doctor -- who later got called in front of the state board for a series of inappropriate behaviors with patients -- guess I wasn't that special. LOL

I've helped dry out drunks, and helped get 'em drunk with an alcohol IV -- and that's no joke. I've pumped their stomachs and worn the results. I've seen blood hit the ceiling from every angle. I've seen Xrays of teeth in lungs, and ones with the outline of steering wheels on someone's ribs. I've put people to bed, and gotten them out of other people's beds. Heck, I even caught one couple in an intimate moment, within hours of their premature baby's birth. Yep -- I've been around the block.

No comments: